Several years ago, in the swampy land of the Bayou, I made a pact with God to read my bible every single day. I wish I could say I kept that promise, but I can say with confidence that there has only been a handful of times where I have missed reading God’s word in a day. Memorizing scripture has changed my walk with God. There are great benefits that are bestowed to those who diligently search the scripture. My old Pastor in Louisiana would say it like this… “Some of ya’ll spend too much time on that Facebook when you need to be gettin yo FACE in the BOOK!” haha. The Word of God does not return void and it has tremendous amounts of power when spoken. I want to encourage you all with some simple tips that I use on a daily basis that helps me meditate and memorize scripture.
- Get a reading plan – I have a monthly reading plan that I’ve been following for about four years. You can get it at 220power.com. Following this particular reading plan helps me to diversify the sections of scripture I read. Typically I read about 2-3 chapters from the different areas in scripture (Law, Prophets, Gospels, Epistles)
- Re-read what you read in the morning in the afternoon and evening – You don’t have to re-read the full amount, but I find it helpful to go over what I read in the morning at different parts of the day.
- Journal Scripture – Your natural mind does not remember revelation from God very well. I like to write down a particular verse or passage and journal what God was speaking to me as I read it.
- Align your prayers to His Word – I usually open my bible to my daily readings and after I read them I pray what I just read. If I read John 3:16 I begin to thank God for loving me and this world so much that He would give the best He had so that I might be reconciled to Him.
- Pick one verse (or passage) that really spoke to you and meditate on it; paraphrase the verse and say the book and chapter out loud slowly several times. Pause and think about the application of that verse in your life.
- Leave your bible open on your desk or wherever you work – It reminds me to read it throughout the day. Just a simple reminder here.
- Ask God to Reveal Himself Through His Word – Every time you open your bible ask God something like this “Please open my eyes and give me insight to understand the truth in your word.
I hope these tips become helpful to you as you read, meditate, and memorize the word of God. Commit to study the holy scriptures daily. Remember that in consistency lies power. The beginning of Psalms is a wonderful passage of scripture that describes the person who prioritizes God’s word.
Oh, the joys of those who do not
follow the advice of the wicked,
or stand around with sinners,
or join in with mockers.
2 But they delight in the law of the Lord,
meditating on it day and night.
3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
and they prosper in all they do.
I’m Harold Dorrell Briscoe. Thanks for reading.